“10 projects will be awarded up to $100,000 each”
PILOT Health Tech NYC is an exciting new program which provides funding of up to $100,000 each to 10 innovative pilot projects to take place in New York City. The program seeks to match early-stage healthcare technology companies ('innovators') with key NYC healthcare service organizations or individuals ('hosts'), including hospitals, physician clinics, payors, pharma companies, and nursing associations. Each pilot project will be focused on addressing defined needs of the healthcare industry and testing a technology prototype in a healthcare setting for a period of approximately 3-6 months.
New York City is a bustling healthcare ecosystem consisting of major stakeholders, including large provider groups, academic medical centers, payors and pharma companies. With healthcare dominating national policy discussions and New York City's burgeoning tech sector, there is a significant opportunity for entrepreneurs and companies to take healthcare complexities into their own hands. In fact, in 2012, New York City saw three times as many investments in healthcare companies than in 2011. These companies have bold visions to use technologies to reduce costs, improve patient care, and tackle healthcare issues, large and small.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) and the Bloomberg Administration, in partnership with leading health organizations Health 2.0, StartUp Health, and Blueprint Health, launched PILOT Health Tech NYC to leverage this momentum and position New York City as the nation's hub for healthcare technology.
The program aims to:
- Encourage the development and scaling of new technologies to improve clinical care while reducing costs;
- Assist early-stage companies in building long-lasting relationships with existing NYC healthcare stakeholders; and,
- Lay the groundwork for the creation of new businesses in NYC.
The program helps innovators and hosts "match" with each other through facilitated matchmaking sessions, and seeks innovators and hosts to submit joint proposals for innovative pilot projects.
Prizes & Perks
Up to $1,000,000 in total rewards, plus workshops, recognition, conference demo
- 10 pilot projects will receive up to $100,000 each
Winners also receive the following:
- In-kind donation of services or resources from 'Hosts' and 'Innovators', including staff hours, IT resources, physician input, access to data as well as other costs associated with the pilot.
- Pilot planning and implementation support from the organizers
- Two workshops on topics to be determined by a survey of needs (e.g. regulatory issues, standards, customer development)
- Participation and promotion in major health events and conferences
- Access to NYeC's SHIN-NY API
- Note PILOT Health Tech NYC will provide up to $100,000 in funding for each selected pilot program with the following parameters: 1) each selected winner will receive no more than 50% of the cost of an individual pilot program, and 2) the host/innovator pair is responsible for providing funding or in-kind resources for the remainder of the budget, which must be of equal or greater value than the amount awarded. If selected, the two parties are free to decide how the PILOT Health Tech NYC funding will be allocated between host and innovator. The budget submitted as part of the application should be an accurate representation of the cost of the pilot program.
How it Works
- Attend the Info Session
The organizers hosted an information session webinar on Wednesday, February 6 from 2-3pm to provide more details about the PILOT Health Tech NYC program to interested participants. On the webinar, they answered any questions and explained the process. If you missed the webinar, you can still view the recording and review the slides. Also, sign up for our newsletter below to stay updated. A second Q&A webinar will take place on April 23rd at 12pm EST that will allow interested parties to ask questions to the sponsor.
- Indicate Interest
While the first deadline (Feb 10th) to submit the 'Find a Pilot Partner' form indicating interest has passed, interested innovators AND hosts can still apply to 'Find a Pilot Partner' before March 29th. The organizers will facilitate virtual matchmaking through email introductions for innovators selected by our hosts. Interested applicants do not have to go through the PILOT Health Tech NYC matchmaking process in order to jointly apply by the May 27th deadline. We encourage innovators to independently reach out to various healthcare service organizations in the NYC area for potential partnerships.
- Find a Match
PILOT Health Tech NYC facilitates matchmaking to help innovators and hosts connect to discuss potential pilots. During the first phase of the program, the organizers held two in-person matchmaking sessions on Feb 20th and 21st. While these matchmaking sessions are over, the organizers will facilitate email introductions between hosts and innovators later in March. Please still apply to 'Find a Pilot Partner' by March 29th and we will alert innovators who have been selected by hosts for email introductions. PILOT Health Tech NYC is not permitted to provide contact information for host organizations to interested innovators.
- Submit Join Proposal
'Host' and 'Innovator' applies as a pair to PILOT Health Tech NYC by submitting a joint pilot proposal by Monday, May 27, 2013. Applications without a 'host' or 'innovator' co-applicant will not be accepted.
- Implement Pilot Projects
A panel of expert judges will review proposals and select 10 winners to receive funding of up to $100,000 each. Winners will be announced at a 'PILOT' Day. The selected winners will then implement their pilot projects over a period of approximately 3-6 months. The PILOT Health Tech NYC team will provide pilot planning and implementation support services, including holding two workshops on relevant topics.
- Promote Results
The selected winners will have the opportunity to present their pilot projects at major health events and conferences. Any preliminary data and proof-of-concept results may be used for promotional purposes on the PILOT Health Tech NYC website, in press releases, newsletters, and other marketing material. This is a chance for both 'innovators' and 'hosts' to be in the spotlight, supported by the Bloomberg Administration.
- Joint Innovator-Host applications will be accepted starting: Tuesday, January 22, 2013
- Informational Webinar: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 2-3pm
- Deadline for submitting the "Find a Pilot Partner" Form: Sunday, February 10, 2013
- Notification of a Match: Sunday, February 17, 2013
- Matchmaking Sessions: Wednesday, February 20 and Thursday, February 21, 2013, 3-6pm
- Virtual Matchmaking Deadline: March 29, 2013
- Deadline for Joint Innovator-Host Submissions: Monday, May 27, 2013
- Winners announced at the 'PILOT Day': Wednesday, June 26, 2013
For winners only:
- Pilot planning and implementation: July 2013 and Onwards
- Two workshops on best practices for running pilots: July - September 2013 (TBD)
- Conference exhibition opportunity: October 2013 (TBD)